Beyond the Campus
Building a Sustainable University - Community Partnership
This book explores how we approached the issue of community development in the context of competing interests and a differential power imbalance. We used a process-based model for supporting community transformation, a phenomenon in which university–community partnership is but one example.
The people who most will want to read and use Beyond the Campus are faculty (e.g., executive coaches and consultants), staff, and action-focused researchers seeking to learn how to enhance their relationships with community leaders (e.g., principals, executive/program directors, teachers and parents) in urban educational settings.
Foreword, Isaac Prilleltensky. Preface. Introduction. PART I: ENGAGED SCHOLARSHIP: AN OVERVIEW 1 Framing the Issue: Integrating Teaching, Research and Service, Debra Harkins and Sukanya Ray. 2 Collaboration: A Systems View for Learning Communities, Carol Sharicz. PART II: UNIVERSITY–COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP: HISTORY AND METHOD 3 Civic Engagement: Learning Through Community Service, Debra Harkins and Clare Mehta. 4 Method: Community-Based Action Research, Debra Harkins. PART III: LESSONS LEARNED: BUILDING A SUSTAINABLE PARTNERSHIP 5 Resolving Conflict: Taking Down the Walls, Debra Harkins, Elizabeth Bourassa, and Sukanya Ray. 6 Building a Team: Be Ready for Elephants and Tomatoes, Manila Austin. 7 Power Dynamics: What to Listen For and How to Ask Good Questions, Michelle Ronayne. 8 Students’ Perspectives on Service Learning: How do Students Become Effective Community Researchers? Clare Mehta, Johnny Nguyen, and Jody Pimental-Eye. 9 Partnership: What Sustainability Looks Like, Debra Harkins. 10 Conclusions. References. Electronic Resources. Acknowledgements. About the Authors.
"This is a good story of community engagement, offered with a strong theoretical framework,
making the book a useful resource for a variety of courses and shared readings among
those who promote this type of university–community alliance." Kathleen Sullivan Brown, PhD University of Missouri in PsycCRITIQUES (Read full review)
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU015000 - EDUCATION: Higher
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- EDU001000 - EDUCATION: ADMINISTRATION: General
- Contemporary Perspectives in Data Mining Volume 3
- International Perspectives on Mathematics Curriculum
- Models of Success How Historically Black Colleges and Universities Survive the Economic Recession
- Social Studies Teacher Education Critical Issues and Current Perspectives
- The Growing Out-of-School Time Field Past, Present, and Future
- Views from Inside Languages, Cultures, and Schooling for K‐12 Educators
- Visions from Professional Development School Partners Connecting Professional Development and Clinical Practice