Computers, Cockroaches, and Ecosystems
Understanding Learning through Metaphor
Of all the topics ever studied, surely one of the most compelling is human learning itself. What is the nature of the human mind? How do we understand and process new information? Where do new ideas come from? How is our very intelligence a product of society and culture?
Computers, Cockroaches, and Ecosystems: Understanding Learning through Metaphor brings to light the great discoveries about human learning by illuminating key metaphors underlying the major learning perspectives. Such metaphors include, among others, the mind as computer, the mind as ecosystem, and the mind as cultural tools. These metaphors reveal the essence of different learning perspectives in a way that is accessible and engaging for teachers and students. Each metaphor is brought to life through stories ranging from the humorous to the profound.
The book conveys scholarly ideas in a personal manner and will be a delight for teachers, university students, parents, business or military trainers, or anyone with an interest in learning.
CHAPTER 1: The Learning Age. PART I: BEHAVIORISM CHAPTER 2: Learning as Natural Selection. PART II: COGNITIVISM CHAPTER 3: Mind as Computer. CHAPTER 4. Mind as Network. PART III: CONSTRUCTIVISM CHAPTER 5: Computer as Mind. CHAPTER 6: Mind as Ecosystem. PART IV: SOCIOCULTURALISM CHAPTER 7: Mind as Cultural Tools. CHAPTER 8: Learning as Cockroach or Panda Bear. PART V: THE PURPOSE OF LEARNING CHAPTER 9: Learning as the Journey versus the Map. CHAPTER 10: Learning as Art.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU028000 - EDUCATION: Study Skills
- EDU009000 - EDUCATION: Educational Psychology
- EDU012000 - EDUCATION: Experimental Methods
- "The Brain Controls Everything" Children's Ideas About the Body
- From Socrates to Summerhill and Beyond Towards a Philosophy of Education for Personal Responsibility
- Holistic Education and Embodied Learning
- Making of The Future The Trajectory Equifinality Approach in Cultural Psychology
- Memory Practices and Learning Interactional, Institutional and Sociocultural Perspectives
- Successful Science and Engineering Teaching in Colleges and Universities, 2nd Edition
- Teach & Thrive Wisdom from an Urban Teacher's Career Narrative