Abstracts of The First Sourcebook on Asian Research in Mathematics Education
China, Korea, Singapore, Japan, Malaysia and India
Bharath Sriraman, University of Montana
Jinfa Cai, University of Delaware
Kyeonghwa Lee, Seoul National University
Lianghuo Fan, University of Southampton (UK)
Yoshinori Shimizu, University of Tsukuba
Chap Sam Lim, Universiti Sains Malaysia
K. Subramaniam, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
A volume in the series: International Sourcebooks in Mathematics and Science Education. Editor(s): Bharath Sriraman, University of Montana.
Mathematics and Science education have both grown in fertile directions in different geographic regions. Yet, the mainstream discourse in international handbooks does not lend voice to developments in cognition, curriculum, teacher development, assessment, policy and implementation of mathematics and science in many countries. Paradoxically, in spite of advances in information technology and the “flat earth” syndrome, old distinctions and biases between different groups of researcher’s persist. In addition limited accessibility to conferences and journals also contribute to this problem.
The International Sourcebooks in Mathematics and Science Education focus on under-represented regions of the world and provides a platform for researchers to showcase their research and development in areas within mathematics and science education.
The First Sourcebook on Asian Research in Mathematics Education: China, Korea, Singapore, Japan, Malaysia and India provides the first synthesized treatment of mathematics education that has both developed and is now prominently emerging in the Asian and South Asian world. The book is organized in sections coordinated by leaders in mathematics education in these countries and editorial teams for each country affiliated with them. The purpose of unique sourcebook is to both consolidate and survey the established body of research in these countries with findings that have influenced ongoing research agendas and informed practices in Europe, North America (and other countries) in addition to serving as a platform to showcase existing research that has shaped teacher education, curricula and policy in these Asian countries. The book will serve as a standard reference for mathematics education researchers, policy makers, practitioners and students both in and outside Asia, and complement the Nordic and NCTM perspectives.
- MAT030000 - MATHEMATICS: Study & Teaching
- EDU029010 - EDUCATION: TEACHING METHODS & MATERIALS: Mathematics
- MAT027000 - MATHEMATICS: Research
- Cases in Mathematics Teacher Education Tools for Developing Knowledge Needed for Teaching
- Inquiry into Mathematics Teacher Education
- Scholarly Practices and Inquiry in the Preparation of Mathematics Teachers
- The First Sourcebook on Asian Research in Mathematics Education China, Korea, Singapore, Japan, Malaysia and India
- The First Sourcebook on Mediterranean Research in Mathematics and Science Education Cyprus, Israel, Turkey, Greece and Central Asia
- The First Sourcebook on Nordic Research in Mathematics Education Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark and contributions from Finland
- The Work of Mathematics Teacher Educators Continuing the Conversation - 2006