Inspiring Student Writers
Strategies and Examples for Teachers
A volume in the series: Literacy, Language and Learning. Editor(s): Claudia Finkbeiner, Universitaet Kassel. Wen Ma, Le Moyne College.
Getting our students to write and write well is a process Tom Scheft explains and explores—offering practical and theoretical guidance, while providing uplifting, thought provoking examples of a writing assignment for students middle grades through master’s level.
An invaluable supplemental text for teacher education programs and in-service programs, Scheft mines his experience working with student writers in public schools and universities. He also covers
• the research-backed case for autobiographical, reflective writing,
• helping student writers understand and deal with rejection, and
• honest, practical strategies for dealing with dialect differences.
Professors, English teachers, and students: This book will help enhance writing through time-tested, user-friendly strategies and powerful examples.
Acknowledgments. Foreword, Clyde Edgerton. Preface, Tom Scheft. Working With Student Writers, Tom Scheft. Autobiography in Teacher Preparation: The Internally Persuasive Discourse That Speaks With Authority, Sandy A. Vavra. The Autobiographical, Reflective Assignment, Tom Scheft. Teacher as Secret Agent, Muri Pugh. Gratitude, Generosity, and Community, Jennifer Lombard. Confronting the Fear Within, Laura Will. Teacher as Scientist, Teacher as Artist, Amanda Albert. Reflections on Langston Hughes’ “Mother to Son”, Casey Collins, Carron Carter, and Melissa Davis. In the Blood, Joshua Knight. The Black Teacher, Marshella Reid. Dealing With Death, Sloane Akos. A Renewed Sense of Life, Jayne Dorfman. The Power of Imagination, Taheera Blount. Flying Lessons, Amanda Riley Smith. The Power of Unconditional Love, Elwood Robinson. Testing the Sleeping Giant, Pamela George. APPENDIX. Confronting Stereotyping: Understanding Why We Do It, Considering What to Do About It, Tom Scheft. Helping Student Writers Understand and Deal With Rejection, Tom Scheft. Dealing With Dialect Differences: Honest Concerns and Practical Approaches, Tom Scheft. About the Editor.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- EDU015000 - EDUCATION: Higher
- LAN015000 - LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES: Rhetoric
- Chinese Education from the Perspectives of American Educators
- Getting to Know Ourselves and Others Through the ABCs A Journey Toward Intercultural Understanding
- Getting to the Common Core Using Research-based Strategies that Empower Students to Own Their Own Achievement
- Learner's Privilege and Responsibility A Critical Examination of the Experiences and Perspectives of Learners from Chinese Backgrounds in the United States
- Listening to the Voices of Boys Exploring the Motivation of Primary Boys to Engage in Reading
- Reconceptualizing Literacy in the New Age of Multiculturalism and Pluralism 2nd Edition
- Views from Inside Languages, Cultures, and Schooling for K‐12 Educators