Teacher Education for Social Justice
Perspectives and Lessons Learned
A group of multiethnic scholars and practitioner researchers explore concepts of teaching for social justice and preparing teachers to work towards social justice in schools and communities. The objectives of this book are to 1. present different perspectives on the preparation of teachers for social justice work; 2. contribute to the existing literature on social justice; 3. provide pedagogical implications and suggestions for teacher education programs that want to incorporate social justice into their preparation courses. This volume is intended for an audience of researchers in education and students in advanced undergraduate and graduate courses.
Preface. Foreword by Marilyn Cochran-Smith. Dedication. About the Editor. Perspectives and Lessons Learned about Teacher Education for Social Justice, Luciana C. de Oliveira. Socially Just Teaching through the Eyes of Russian Immigrants, Galina Miller and Lyubov Sylayeva. Teacher Education for Immigrant Students: Educational Issues in the United States and Japan, Thu Ya Aung, Shaivi Divatia, and Reiko Akiyama. Chocolate Covered Twinkies: Social Justice and Superficial Aims in Teacher Education, Jubin Rahatzad, Jason Ware, and Mark Haugen. Beyond Dominant Discourses on Islam: Proposal for Disruptions through Teacher Education Programs for Democratic Engagement and Social Justice, Amina Shareef and Adrien Chauvet. Identity and Social Justice Development of Pre-service Teachers, Maricela Alvarado and Amy Carey. A Social Justice Curriculum for Appalachia, Ryan Angus and Josh Iddings. Al Otro Lado del Puente: Fostering Partnerships between Academia and the Community, Zaira R. Arvelo-Alicea and Ileana Cortés Santiago. Preparing Mathematics Teachers for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students: What’s Language Got to Do with Social Justice? David Norris and Luciana C. de Oliveira. Math + Social Justice = A New Take on Mathematics Teacher Preparation, Caitlyn Holleran and Kadriye El-Atwani. The Unintended Consequences of No Child Left Behind on a School Corporation: Implications for English Language Learners’ Advocates, April Burke.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- EDU015000 - EDUCATION: Higher
- EDU003000 - EDUCATION: Aims & Objectives
- Contemporary Perspectives on Research in Assessment and Evaluation in Early Childhood Education
- Distance Learning - Issue Volume 12 #2
- Going Back to Our Future II Carrying Forward the Spirit of Pioneers of Science Education
- Making Meaning, Making Motherhood
- Quarterly Review of Distance Education - Journal Issue Volume 16 #2
- Using Past as Prologue Contemporary Perspectives on African American Educational History
- Women and Leadership around the World