Technologies of Government
Politics and Power in the "Information Age"
A volume in the series: Studies in the Philosophy of Education. Editor(s): John E. Petrovic, The University of Alabama.
In this book, Baez examines a series of governmental “technologies” that he believes strongly characterize our present. The technologies that he addresses in this book are information, statistics, databases, economy, and accountability. He offers arguments about the role these technologies play in contemporary politics. Specifically, Baez analyzes these technologies in terms of (the sometimes oppositional) rationalities for rendering reality thinkable, and, consequently, governable. These technologies bear on the field of education, but also exceed it. So, while issues in education frame many of the arguments in this book, the book’s also has usefulness to those outside of field of education.
Specifically, Baez concludes that the governmental technologies listed above all are coopted by neoliberal rationalities rendering our lives thinkable and governable through an array of devices for the management of risk, using the model of the economy, and heavily investing in the uses of information, statistics, databases, and oversight mechanisms associated with accountability. Baez leaves readers with more questions than they might have had prior to reading the book, so that they may re-imagine their own present and future and thus their own forms of self-government.
Foreword. Preface. 1 Govern-Mentalities. 2 Info-Notions. 3 Statistics. 4 Database. 5 Economy. 6 Accountability. References. About the Author.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU000000 - EDUCATION: General
- EDU034000 - EDUCATION: EDUCATIONAL POLICY & REFORM: General
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- Across the Domains Examining Best Practices in Mentoring Public School Educators throughout the Professional Journey
- Blame Teachers The Emotional Reasons for Educational Reform
- Dystopia & Education Insights into Theory, Praxis, and Policy in an Age of Utopia-Gone-Wrong
- Gender, Sexuality and Peace Education Issues and Perspectives in Higher Education
- Implementing and Analyzing Performance Assessments in Teacher Education
- The Global Education Movement Narratives of Distinguished Global Scholars
- Transformative Pedagogies for Teacher Education Moving Towards Critical Praxis in an Era of Change