Promising Practices to Connect Schools with the Community
A volume in the series: Family School Community Partnership Issues. Editor(s): Diana Hiatt-Michael, Pepperdine University. Holly Kreider, The Heising-Simons Foundation. Michael P. Evans, Miami University.
Recipient of AERA Outstanding Contributions Relating Theory to Practice Award: Interpretive Scholarship for 2004
This is the second in a series of monographs by the Family, School, Community Partnership (FSCP) Special Interest Group of the American Educational Research Association. Parent involvement, as one of the eight National Education Goals in 1994, has brought heightened awareness to the importance of connecting educational institutions and their communities. The goal envisions “school partnerships that will increase parent involvement and participation in promoting the social, emotional, and academic growth of children.” The U.S. Congress additionally supported this goal in the passage of the No Child Left Behind Act in 2001. This act is the renewal of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and strongly promotes schools’ active involvement with families and the surrounding community.
Foreword. Acknowledgments. Introduction: The School–Community Connection, Diana B. Hiatt-Michael. Educational Reform: The Community Schools Approach, Martin J. Blank. A Full-Service Community School, Joy G. Dryfoos. School-Linked Service Programs: Opportunities and Challenges, Nancy Feyl Chavkin. Schools and Communities Working Together to Implement Youth Behavioral Health Programs, Carl I. Fertman. School–Business Partnerships, Mary Ann Burke. Community Museums Support School Curriculum, Lorrie Beaumont. 8. Improving K–16 Education through School–Community–University Partnerships, Barbara Lieb
Web price: $45.04 (Reg. 52.99)
Web price: $80.74 (Reg. 94.99)
- Composing Storylines of Possibilities Immigrant and Refugee Families Navigating School
- Critical Perspectives on Education Policy and Schools, Families, and Communities
- Family Involvement in Faith-Based Schools
- Promising Practices for Engaging Families in Literacy
- Promising Practices for Engaging Families in STEM Learning
- Promising Practices To Empower Culturally And Linguistically Diverse Families Of Children With Disabilities
- The Power of Community Engagement for Educational Change