A Chronicle of Echoes
Who’s Who in the Implosion of American Public Education
"Corporate reform" is not reform at all. Instead, it is the systematic destruction of the foundational American institution of public education. The primary motivation behind this destruction is greed. Public education in America is worth almost a trillion dollars a year.
Whereas American public education is a democratic institution, its destruction is being choreographed by a few wealthy, well-positioned individuals and organizations. This book investigates and exposes the handful of people and institutions that are often working together to become the driving force behind destroying the community public school.
Acknowledgement: My Mentor, Diane Ravitch. Additional Acknowledgements. Introduction. 1. Joel Klein: The Man From Whom Nothing Good Comes. 2. Eva Moskowitz: Stage Mother of Charter School "Success." 3. Wendy Kopp, The Leader in Temp Agency Education: Teach for America (TFA). 4. Michelle Rhee: Sociopathy Finds a Home in Ed Reform. 5. Erik Hanushek: Expert Witness for “Less Doing More” in the Classroom. 6. The Chicago Connection: The Daley-Vallas Years. 7. The Chicago Connection: Duncan (with Obama in the Mix). 8. The Chicago Connection: Emanuel (with Obama Still in the Mix). 9. Paul Vallas Beyond Chicago: Wrecking Philadelphia. 10. Paul Vallas Beyond Chicago: No Good for New Orleans or Bridgeport. 11. David Coleman and His Common Core State Standards. 12. Chester Finn and Frederick Hess: Pushing Reforms “Just Because” 13. Jeb Bush and His Florida Miracle (Well, Most of It). 14. Jeb Bush and His Miracle Reforms (The Rest of It). 15. Jeb Bush’s Foundation for Excellence in Education and Chiefs for Change. 16. Michelle Rhee’s TNTP and StudentsFirst. 17. Democrats for Education Reform (DFER) and Education Reform Now (ERN). 18. National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ), or So They Say. 19. Stand for Children (Crush Their Teachers). 20. Black Alliance for Education Options (BAEO) and Parent Revolution (PR). 21. Knowledge is Power Program (KIPP): What Money Cannot Seem to Do. 22. The Aspen and Pahara Institutes: Advancing Privatization in Fine Style. 23. The Big Three Foundations: Gates, Walton, and Broad. 24. The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC): Manipulating the Nation State by State. Conclusion: Where to from Here? Endnotes.
> Read this interview with the author on Counterpunch.
- EDU000000 - EDUCATION: General
- EDU029000 - EDUCATION: TEACHING METHODS & MATERIALS: General
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- A Second Helping of Gumbo for the Soul More Liberating Stories and Memories to Inspire Females of Color
- Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Business
- Contemporary Perspectives in Data Mining Volume 4
- Critical Issues in Early Childhood Teacher Education Volume 2-International Perspectives
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment Intersecting New Needs and New Approaches
- Research on Teaching Global Issues Pedagogy for Global Citizenship Education
- Researching Pedagogy and Practice with Canadian Mathematics Teachers