Colluding, Colliding, and Contending with Norms of Whiteness
A volume in the series: Urban Education Studies Series. Editor(s): Nicholas Daniel Hartlep, Metropolitan State University. Thandeka K. Chapman, University of California, San Diego. Kenny Varner, Louisiana State University.
Analyzing experiences of White mothers of daughters and sons of color across the U. S., Chandler provides an insider’s view of the complex ways in which Whiteness norms appear and operate. Through uncovering and analyzing Whiteness norms occurring across motherhood stages, Chandler has developed a model of three common ways of interacting with the norms of Whiteness: colluding, colliding, and contending. Chandler’s results suggest that collisions with Whiteness norms are a necessary step to increasing one’s racial literacy which is essential for effective contentions with norms of Whiteness. She proposes steps for applying her model in education settings, which can also be applied in other organizational contexts.
Introduction. CHAPTER I: Model and Supporting Theories. CHAPTER II: Becoming a Mother. CHAPTER III: Mothers and Schools. CHAPTER IV: As Sons and Daughters Mature. CHAPTER V: Conclusions. CHAPTER VI: Recommendations. Appendix A – The Study. Appendix B – Virginia 1691, ACT XVI. Appendix C – Notes Regarding Trans racial Adoption. References.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU032000 - EDUCATION: Leadership
- SOC028000 - SOCIAL SCIENCE: Women's Studies
- SOC031000 - SOCIAL SCIENCE: Discrimination & Race Relations
- Better Principals, Better Schools What Star Principals Know, Believe, and Do
- Better Teachers, Better Schools What Star Teachers Know, Believe, and Do
- Intersectionality and Urban Education Identities, Policies, Spaces & Power
- School Turnaround in Secondary Schools Possibilities, Complexities, & Sustainability
- Thinking to Transform Reflection in Leadership Learning
- Thinking to Transform Companion Manual Facilitating Reflection in Leadership Learning
- Through the Fog Towards Inclusive Anti-Racist Teaching