Contemporary Perspectives on Socialization and Social Development in Early Childhood Education
A volume in the series: Contemporary Perspectives in Early Childhood Education. Editor(s): Olivia Saracho, University of Maryland.
The purpose of this volume is to present a selection of chapters that reflect current issues relating to children’s socialization processes that help them become successful members of their society. From birth children are unique in their rates of growth and development, including the development of their social awareness and their ability to interact socially. They interpret social events based on their developing life style and environmental experiences. The children’s socialization is influenced by several important social forces including the family and its organization, their peer group, and the significant others in their lives. In “Theories of Socialization and Social Development,” Olivia Saracho and Bernard Spodek describe the children’s socialization forces and the different developmental theories that have influenced our understanding of the socialization process. These include maturationist theory (developed by Arnold Gesell), constructivist theories (developed by such theorists as Jean Piaget, Lev S. Vygotsky, and Jerome Bruner), psychodynamic theories (developed by such theorists as Sigmund Freud, Erik Erikson, Harry Stack Sullivan, and Alfred Adler), and ecological theory (developed by Urie Bronfenbrenner). Each theory provides interpretations of the meaning of the children’s social development and describes the different characteristics for each age group in the developmental sequences.
Introduction: Explorations in Social Development: The Theory Base, Olivia N. Saracho and Bernard Spodek. Theories of Socialization and Social Development,
Web price: $45.04 (Reg. 52.99)
Web price: $80.74 (Reg. 94.99)
- EDU023000 - EDUCATION: Preschool & Kindergarten
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- SOC000000 - SOCIAL SCIENCE: General
- Contemporary Perspectives on Research in Assessment and Evaluation in Early Childhood Education
- Contemporary Perspectives on Research in Motivation in Early Childhood Education
- Contemporary Perspectives on Research on Bullying and Victimization in Early Childhood Education
- Contemporary Perspectives on Research on Child Care in Early Childhood Education
- Contemporary Perspectives on Research on Child Development Laboratory Schools in Early Childhood Education
- Contemporary Perspectives on Research on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Early Childhood Education
- Handbook of Research Methods in Early Childhood Education - Volume 2 Review of Research Methodologies