Education for Democracy
Contexts, Curricula, Assessments
A volume in the series: Research in Social Education. Editor(s): Brad M. Maguth, The University of Akron.
Part of the "Research in Social Education" series, this text is divided into three parts: contexts; curricula; and assessments. It covers such topics as the irony of exclusion; teaching tolerance; and multicultural citizenship education.
Introduction. Walter C. Parker, University of Washington. Part I: Contexts. Democratic Education and the American Dream: One, Some, and All. Jennifer Hochschild, Harvard University, and Nathan Scovronick, Princeton University. Citizenship Education: Anti-political Culture and Political Education in Britain. Elizabeth Frazer, Oxford University. The Irony of Exclusion: Education in Seattle During the Japanese American Incarceration. Yoon K. Pak, University of Illinois. Part II: Curricula. Education for Democratic Citizenship: One Nation’s Story. Carole Hahn, Emory University. Issue-Centered Education for Democracy through Project Citizen. John J. Patrick & William A. Nixon, Indiana University, Thomas S. Vontz, Rockhurst University. Political Tolerance and Democracy. Patricia G. Avery, University of Minnesota. Multicultural Citizenship Education. James A. Banks, University of Washington. Educating “World Citizens”: Toward Multinational Curriculum Development. Walter C. Parker, University of Washington, Akira Ninomiya, Hiroshima University and John Cogan, University of Minnesota. Part III: Assessments. An Assessment of what 14-year-olds Know and Believe about Democracy in 28 Countries. Judith Torney-Purta and Wendy Klandl Richardson, University of Maryland. Classroom Assessment of Civic Discourse. David Harris, University of Michigan.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- Controversial Issues in Social Studies Education in Turkey The Contemporary Debates
- New Directions in Social Education Research The Influence of Technology and Globalization on the Lives of Students
- Perspectives of Black Histories in Schools
- Repensar la Educación para un Mundo Global y Transcultural
- Research in Global Citizenship Education
- Rethinking Education for a Global, Transcultural World
- Social Studies Teacher Education Critical Issues and Current Perspectives