Evaluating Second Language Courses
Typically, books on evaluation in the second and foreign language field deal with large programs and often result from large‐scale studies done by the authors. The challenge for ordinary second and foreign language classroom teachers is that they must extrapolate techniques or strategies for evaluation from a very large scale to a much smaller scale, that of the course. At the same time, classroom teachers are responsible for outcomes of their courses and need to do evaluation on a scale and for needs of their choosing. Evaluating Second Language Courses is designed for classroom teachers who are dealing with a single course, and who wish to understand and improve some aspect of their course.
Foreword. CHAPTER I: What Is Course Evaluation? CHAPTER II: Models of Second Language Course Evaluation. CHAPTER III: Stakeholders and Outcomes, the World, and Outcomes Validation. CHAPTER IV: The World, Stakeholders, and Needs Analysis. CHAPTER V: Curriculum and Outcomes, and Course Logic. CHAPTER VI: Curriculum and Stakeholders, and Formative Evaluation. CHAPTER VII: Tests and Quizzes. CHAPTER VIII: Classroom Observations, Interviews, and Questionnaires. CHAPTER IX: Outcomes and Assessment, and Summative Evaluation. CHAPTER X: Reading and Assessing Evaluation Publications. Bibliography of Evaluation. Bibliography About Evaluation. Bibliography of Needs Analysis. Bibliography About Needs Analysis. Glossary.
"If it were nothing else, this book would be an invaluable resource for the tidy and useful way in which program evaluation research has been catalogued. One takes for granted that in subsequent editions of this book, these citations will be updated to include research conducted after the initial publication of the book. This book is a clearly written, accessible method for busy language teachers to evaluate how the components in their course are functioning." Deirdre J. Derrick Northern Arizona University in English for Specific Purposes (Read full review)
Web price: $45.04 (Reg. 52.99)
Web price: $80.74 (Reg. 94.99)
- EDU005000 - EDUCATION: Bilingual Education
- FOR000000 - FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY: General
- EDU011000 - EDUCATION: Evaluation & Assessment
- Disrupting Program Evaluation and Mixed Methods Research for a More Just Society The Contributions of Jennifer C. Greene
- Drama of Multilingualism Literature Review and Liberation
- Educational Justice Challenges For Ideas, Institutions, and Practices in Chilean Education
- Innovative Approaches to Teaching Multilingual Students
- Innovative Curricular and Pedagogical Designs in Bilingual Teacher Education Bridging the Distance with School Contexts
- Multilevel Modeling Methods with Introductory and Advanced Applications
- School-University-Community Collaboration for Civic Education and Engagement in the Democratic Project