Issues in Career Development
A volume in the series: Issues in Career Development. Editor(s): Grafton T. Eliason, California University of Pennsylvania. John Patrick, California University of Pennsylvania.
This volume will examine the historical emergence of the concept of career including early ideas about the meaning and role of work and how it fits with life. The concept of career development is of relatively recent origin. It was not until the early 20th Century that serious attention was given to the role of work and career as it applied to the common man. While the concept of “vocation” has historical roots that date back centuries, vocation (or calling) was typically only applied to the professions of the clergy, law and medicine. These individuals had careers, while the common man had a job.
Perhaps the most significant event that changed both the labor market and the associated socio-cultural values about work was the 2nd World War. The technological advances that were brought about by the war were profound in terms of changing the nature of work, and the war brought about a significant change in the gender makeup of our labor force as millions of women entered the labor market to support the war effort. The combined effects of technology, a radical new value system, and a burgeoning economy changed everything.
Career Development-An Historical Perspective. Robert Drummond. Career Development-1990 to the Present. Nancy Crumpton. John Holland and Donald Super: An Enduring Legacy. John Patrick, Kelly Tuning, Jessica Grasha, Amy Lucas, and April Perry. Career Development Theories in Perspective. Erik Porfeli. A Review of Models of Career Development. Donald W. Anderson. The Impact of Parent-Adolescent Relationships on Adult Career Development. Briana Brecheisen and Susan Whiston.
Web price: $45.04 (Reg. 52.99)
Web price: $80.74 (Reg. 94.99)
- Career Counseling Across the Lifespan Community, School, and Higher Education
- Career Development Across the Lifespan Counseling for Community, Schools, Higher Education, and Beyond (2nd Edition)
- Career Development in Higher Education
- Career Development in the Schools
- Catalytic Improvement Communities Cultivating Flourishing Schools
- Compassionate Leadership for School Improvement and Renewal
- Polling Student Voices for School Improvement A Guide for Educational Leaders - 2nd Edition