Leading with Character - 2nd Edition
Stories of Valor and Virtue and the Principles They Teach
What kind of character strengths must leaders develop in themselves and others to create and sustain extraordinary organizational growth and performance? In this updated and expanded second edition, the author, John J. Sosik, answers this question by reviewing what is known about the connection between authentic transformational leadership and positive psychology. He summarizes a wealth of leadership knowledge in a unique collection of captivating stories about 25 famous leaders from business, history and pop culture: Aung San Suu Kyi, John F. Kennedy, Maya Angelou, Bill Gates, Brian Wilson, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr., Joe Namath, Malala Yousafzai, Mother Teresa, Angelina Jolie, Pope Saint John Paul II, Shirley Chisholm, Sheryl Sandberg, Andy Griffith, Margaret Thatcher, Oprah Winfrey, Nelson Mandela, Warren Buffet, Carlos Ghosn, Eleanor Roosevelt, Herb Kelleher, Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash, and Fred Rogers.
What do these leaders have in common? Each possesses virtues of wisdom, courage, humanity, justice, temperance, and transcendence and their associated character strengths that form the foundation of their outstanding leadership. Besides generating astonishing results for their organizations, these leaders reaped numerous physical, mental, social and spiritual benefits from their strong character. Their stories teach readers leadership principles that they too can apply to achieve sustainable growth and excellence. The author includes dozens of interesting examples, vivid anecdotes, and clear guidelines to offer readers an in-depth look at how character and virtue forms the moral fiber of authentic transformational leadership. Individuals currently in leadership positions as well as aspiring leaders will find the book’s conversational style, fascinating stories, and practical guidelines both useful and inspiring.
Foreword, Ronald E. Riggio. Preface to Second Edition. Preface to First Edition. 1. Making the Case for Authentic Transformational Leadership. 2. Authentic Transformational Leadership. 3. Virtues and Character Strengths. 4. Wisdom and Knowledge: Strengths for Stimulating Visions and Ideas. 5. Courage: Strengths for Weaving Moral Fiber. 6. Humanity: Strengths for Developing Others. 7. Justice: Strengths for Role Modeling. 8. Temperance: Strengths for Keeping the Ego in Check. 9. Transcendence: Strengths for Inspiring Greatness. 10. Reaching a Higher Level of Leadership and Prosperity. 11. Leaders of Character Among Us. About the Author. Index.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- BUS000000 - BUSINESS & ECONOMICS: General
- EDU032000 - EDUCATION: Leadership
- BUS071000 - BUSINESS & ECONOMICS: Leadership
- Educational Leadership for Social Justice and Improving High-Needs Schools Findings from 10 Years of International Collaboration
- Human Resources Management and Ethics Responsibilities, Actions, Issues, and Experiences
- Latinas Leading Schools
- Leadership, Leaders and Leading
- Partnerships for Leadership Preparation and Development Facilitators, Barriers and Models for Change
- The Connecting Leader Serving Concurrently as a Leader and a Follower
- The School Leadership Survival Guide What to Do When Things Go Wrong, How to Learn from Mistakes, and Why You Should Prepare for the Worst