Listening to the Voices of Boys
Exploring the Motivation of Primary Boys to Engage in Reading
A volume in the series: Literacy, Language and Learning. Editor(s): Claudia Finkbeiner, Universitaet Kassel. Wen Ma, Le Moyne College.
Motivation to engage in reading is a consistent problem for students in general and boys in particular. To solve this problem, we often seek answers from everyone but those we are hoping to motivate. We read the latest article on motivation and think we have finally come up with the recipe that will motivate all of the boys in our class. When it doesn’t work for everyone, we go back to the drawing board and try something else until we finally understand that all boys are motivated by different things.
That is the basis of this book: nothing will work for ALL boys, but there are ways to equip teachers to find out how the boys in their classes are motivated. It provides them with a direction to go once they’ve established the needs of their students and offers suggestions for how to meet individual motivational needs. Each chapter addresses a different motivational need, providing background information and practical classroom applications.
CHAPTER I: Introduction. CHAPTER II: The Importance of Asking. CHAPTER III: You've Asked Them: Now What? CHAPTER IV: Helping Boys See Reading as a Masculine Activity. CHAPTER V: Helping Boys Understand the Purpose of Reading. CHAPTER VI: Helping Boys to Develop Self Efficacy with Reading. CHAPTER VII: What Counts as Reading? CHAPTER VIII: Responding to Reading. CHAPTER IX: Creating and Maintaining an Optimal Classroom Environment that Helps All Learners Perform Their Best. CHAPTER X: Helping Boys Understand How to Select Texts. CHAPTER XI: Motivating Emergent Bilinguals. CHAPTER XII: Conclusion.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU000000 - EDUCATION: General
- EDU014000 - EDUCATION: COUNSELING: Academic Development
- EDU059000 - EDUCATION: Teacher & Student Mentoring
- Chinese Education from the Perspectives of American Educators
- Collaborative Learning in a Global World
- Educational Practices in China, Korea, and the United States Reflections from a Study Abroad Experience
- Getting to Know Ourselves and Others Through the ABCs A Journey Toward Intercultural Understanding
- Getting to the Common Core Using Research-based Strategies that Empower Students to Own Their Own Achievement
- Reconceptualizing Literacy in the New Age of Multiculturalism and Pluralism 2nd Edition
- Views from Inside Languages, Cultures, and Schooling for K‐12 Educators