Paradoxes of the Public School
Historical and Contemporary Foundations of American Public Education
In Press 2019
Is the American public school doing what we want it to do? Or, is what we want it to do in conflict with what society allows it to do? This book takes on issues central to understanding the complexities of the American public school experience. Readers are simultaneously taken into the historical and contemporary context of these issues through an honest and provocative approach that engages them into the real world of school. Chapters revolve around key issues such as religion, democracy, teachers, race, reform, pedagogy, efficiency, freedom, segregation, social class, exceptionality, gender, technology, and accountability.
Paradoxes of the Public School promises to foster a thoughtful dialogue on the complexity of school and how best to improve it for the future. Teacher educators may find it useful to help develop teacher candidates’ understanding of the nature of school. However, anyone interested in the nature of school will find this book insightful, clear, and easy to follow. All readers will find this book to be cutting edge as it creatively fills a dire need for a compelling tale of school that is both informative and thought provoking.
Preface. Acknowledgments. CHAPTER 1: Religion in School. CHAPTER 2: Democracy and School. CHAPTER 3: Teachers and School. CHAPTER 4: Race and School. CHAPTER 5: Reform and School. CHAPTER 6: Pedagogy and School. CHAPTER 7: Efficiency and School. CHAPTER 8: Freedom and School. CHAPTER 9: Segregation and School. CHAPTER 10: Social Class and School. CHAPTER 11: Exceptionality and School. CHAPTER 12: Gender and School. CHAPTER 13: Technology and School. CHAPTER 14: Accountability and School. About the Author.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU016000 - EDUCATION: History
- EDU053000 - EDUCATION: Training & Certification
- EDU040000 - EDUCATION: Philosophy & Social Aspects
- Community College Teacher Preparation for Diverse Geographies Implications for Access and Equity for Preparing a Diverse Teacher Workforce
- Exploring Gender and LGBTQ Issues in K-12 and Teacher Education A Rainbow Assemblage
- Global Perspectives on Issues and Solutions in Urban Education
- Learning with Lenin Selected Works on Education and Revolution
- Let’s Stop Calling it an Achievement Gap How Public Education in the United States Maintains Disparate Educational Experiences for Students of Color
- Participatory Methodologies to Elevate Children's Voice and Agency
- Preparing the Next Generation of Teacher Educators for Clinical Practice