Paradoxes of the Public School
Historical and Contemporary Foundations of American Public Education
Is the American public school doing what we want it to do? Or, is what we want it to do in conflict with what society allows it to do? This book takes on issues central to understanding the complexities of the American public school experience. Readers are simultaneously taken into the historical and contemporary context of these issues through an honest and provocative approach that engages them into the real world of school. Chapters revolve around key issues such as religion, democracy, teachers, race, reform, pedagogy, efficiency, freedom, segregation, social class, exceptionality, gender, technology, and accountability.
Paradoxes of the Public School promises to foster a thoughtful dialogue on the complexity of school and how best to improve it for the future. Teacher educators may find it useful to help develop teacher candidates’ understanding of the nature of school. However, anyone interested in the nature of school will find this book insightful, clear, and easy to follow. All readers will find this book to be cutting edge as it creatively fills a dire need for a compelling tale of school that is both informative and thought provoking.
Preface. Acknowledgments. CHAPTER 1: Religion and School. CHAPTER 2: Democracy and School. CHAPTER 3: Teachers and School. CHAPTER 4: Race and School. CHAPTER 5: Reform and School. CHAPTER 6: Pedagogy and School. CHAPTER 7: Efficiency and School. CHAPTER 8: Freedom and School. CHAPTER 9: Segregation and School. CHAPTER 10: Social Class and School. CHAPTER 11: Exceptionality and School. CHAPTER 12: Gender and School. CHAPTER 13: Technology and School. CHAPTER 14: Accountability and School. About the Author.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU016000 - EDUCATION: History
- EDU053000 - EDUCATION: Training & Certification
- EDU040000 - EDUCATION: Philosophy & Social Aspects
- Misinformation and Fake News in Education
- No Ways Tired: The Journey for Professionals of Color in Student Affairs Volume I - Change Is Gonna Come: New and Entry-Level Professionals
- On Indian Ground The Northwest
- Perspectives of Black Histories in Schools
- Teacher Education at the Edge Expanding Access and Exploring Frontiers
- Teaching About Social Justice Issues in Physical Education
- Teaching the Teachers LGBTQ Issues in Teacher Education