Reforming Middle Level Education
Considerations for Policymakers
A volume in the series: The Handbook of Research in Middle Level Education. Editor(s): Steven B. Mertens, Illinois State University. Micki M. Caskey, Portland State University.
This volume of The Handbook of Research in Middle Level Education is a significant contribution to the literature on middle level schools because it is written specifically with policymakers in mind. Middle level scholars have illuminated the most important issues concerning the education of young adolescents of which policymakers must be knowledgeable. It is only by having informed policymakers that middle level schools can truly thrive and provide the kind of education that every young adolescent deserves. The future of our country depends on it.
Foreword, Sue Swaim. Introduction: Policymakers, Please Think on These â€œThingsâ€, John H. Lounsbury. Creating High-Performance Middle Schools: Recommendations from Research, Vincent A. Anfara, Jr. The Importance of Having a Highly Qualified Principal in Every Middle Grades School, Sue C. Thompson. Creating Academically Challenging Middle Level Schools for Every Child, Ronald D. Williamson and J. Howard Johnston. Creating Quality in the Middle School Curriculum, James A. Beane. Creating Socially Equitable Middle Grades Schools, Nancy M. Doda. The Role of Accountability in Middle Level Schools, Dan French. The Role of Teacher Preparation, Licensure, and Retention in Creating High- Performing Middle Schools, C. Kenneth McEwin, Thomas S. Dickinson, and Tracy W. Smith. Lessons Learned from Comprehensive School Reform Models, Nancy Ames. State-Level Policy Development, David A. Payton. Creating Common Middle-Level Knowledge: A New York Story, Jeannette Stern and Sandra L. Stacki. A New Vision for Professional Learning, Stephanie Hirsh. What of the Future? Deborah Kasak. About the Authors. Index.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- An International Look at Educating Young Adolescents
- Common Planning Time in Middle Level Schools Research Studies from the MLER SIGâ€™s National Project
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment Intersecting New Needs and New Approaches
- Equity & Cultural Responsiveness in the Middle Grades
- Preparing Middle Level Educators for 21st Century Schools Enduring Beliefs, Changing Times, Evolving Practices
- Research on Teaching and Learning with the Literacies of Young Adolescents
- Voices from the Middle Narrative Inquiry By, For and About the Middle Level Community