Reclaiming Public Education through Grassroots Activism
This book is a poignant celebration of grassroots empowerment as our contributors, people who just a short time ago thought of themselves as ordinary citizens, document their call to action when their children and their profession are on the line. Practicing teachers and parents who see the direct impact of education reform on young people and are looking for straightforward and accessible information to help them understand what is happening and acquire the tools for resistance will find direction in this text. Providing inspiration, as well as practical guidance on how to become active in reclaiming education this book covers topics including the corporate takeover of education, high stakes testing, Common Core Standards, teacher preparation, grassroots activist responses, and much more.
Foreword, Kris Nielsen. Introduction: Forewarned is Forearmed, Elizabeth Bloom. Section I: One Voice Makes a Difference. Reclaiming Our Courage to Teach, Kenneth Sider. Tests of Patience, Pedagogy, and Pragmatism, Andrew Gitner. The Imperative to Protect: Perspectives From a Parent Educator, Bianca Tanis. The Fight to Reclaim Student and Teacher Voice in Public Education, Wendy Everard. Data-Nonsense: Why Education Should Not Be Data-Driven, Katie Zahedi. Section I: Points for Discussion. Section II: Coordinating a Community. From Resistance to Advocacy to Activism: A Teacher’s Journey, Elizabeth Lynch. Cultivating Opportunities: Growing Activists, Danielle Boudet. For the Sake of My Children, Stacey Serdy. The Hero Is You, Julie Cavanagh. Reclaiming Our Public Schools, Sara Wottawa. Section II: Points for Discussion. Section III: Challenging the State. From Teacher Leader to Political Leader, Carol Mikoda. Walking the Talk: The Present is the Future, Julie Gorlewski. Dr. Chief-of-Staff Is Calling, Nancy Bloom. Defending Our Children’s Education, Eric Mihelbergel. Section III: Points for Discussion. Section IV: Putting a nation on Notice. The Education of Edushyster: A Comedy, Jennifer Berkshire. Badass Teachers: Fighting for Education in the Age of Corporate Reform, Marla Kilfoyle and Melissa Tomlinson. Compelled to Speak: One Student’s Story, Ankur Singh. Harnessing the Smart Mob: Using Social Media to Enact Change, Kjersti VanSlyke-Briggs. Section Four: Points for Discussion. Afterword, Susan Ohanian. About the Editors.
- EDU000000 - EDUCATION: General
- EDU034000 - EDUCATION: EDUCATIONAL POLICY & REFORM: General
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- American Educational History Journal - Golden Anniversary Edition Volume 50 Numbers 1 & 2
- Distance Learning Volume 20 #3
- Polling Student Voices for School Improvement A Guide for Educational Leaders - 2nd Edition
- Qualitative Research With Diverse and Underserved Communities
- Quarterly Review of Distance Education Volume 24 #1
- Rekindling Embers of the Soul An Examination of Spirituality Issues Relating to Teacher Education
- When Confucius "Encounters" John Dewey A Cross-Cultural Inquiry Into Dewey’s Visit to China