Taking Play Seriously (2nd Ed.)
A Challenge of Learning
In the book, the author is focusing the importance of play for children from 0 years up to 8-12 years of age, e.g. in ECE centers and elementary schools. In particular, the importance of play for learning, through motivation as related to self-competence, inspiration and engagement. In this second edition, the author is emphasizing more thoroughly the importance of play as a challenge of learning, with implications for children, as well as for teachers. Further, the author is referring to how meaning making in children’s production of multi-module narrative products can contribute to their digital personal formation. The selection of theories presented in the second edition is somewhat expanded, and in the end the author is presenting a few important educational challenges of the field of children’s play.
Foreword. PART I: THE PHENOMENON OF PLAY CHAPTER 1: New Perspectives on Children and Childhood. CHAPTER 2: The Phenomenon of Play: Play as Diversity. CHAPTER 3: The Actuality of Play in Today’s Society. CHAPTER 4: Play - A Challenge of Learning. PART II: VALUES AND PLAY CHAPTER 5: Educational Values and Play. CHAPTER 6: Psychological Approaches and Play. CHAPTER 7: Educational Approaches and Play. PART III: SELECTED THEORIES ABOUT PLAY CHAPTER 8: Cognitive and Sociocultural Theories of Play. CHAPTER 9: Personality Theories of Play. CHAPTER 10: Society Critical Theory of Play. CHAPTER 11: Social Anthropological Approaches to Play. CHAPTER 12: Philosophical Theories of Play. PART III: EDUCATIONAL CHALLENGES CHAPTER 13: Play as an Educational Means. CHAPTER 14: Play and Social Motivation: Reflections for Practice. CHAPTER 15: Theory and Practice about Children and Play. CHAPTER 16: Social Anthropological Approaches to Play. References.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU023000 - EDUCATION: Preschool & Kindergarten
- EDU010000 - EDUCATION: Elementary
- EDU003000 - EDUCATION: Aims & Objectives
- Child Advocacy and Early Childhood Education Policies in the Caribbean
- Contemporary Perspectives on Research in Assessment and Evaluation in Early Childhood Education
- Critical Issues in Early Childhood Teacher Education Volume 2-International Perspectives
- Critical Issues in Early Childhood Teacher Education Volume 1 - US Perspectives
- Educating Young Children With and Without Exceptionalities New Perspectives
- Elementary Mathematics Specialists Developing, Refining, and Examining Programs That Support Mathematics Teaching and Learning
- Handbook of Research Methods in Early Childhood Education - Volume 2 Review of Research Methodologies