Teaching English Language Learners in Secondary Subject Matter Classes
This book is for secondary subject matter teachers and administrators who work with English language learners (ELLs) in subject matter classes. It is also for college professors who prepare pre-service teachers to work with those students. The book brings together insights from linguistic, socio-cultural, educational, cognitive, developmental perspectives of what it means for ELLs to learn both English and subject matter knowledge in English as a second language. It delineates unique challenges that ELLs experience, offers ELLs’ learning stories, and suggests concrete strategies with classroom teaching examples across academic disciplines.
The 2nd edition broadens the scope of the 1st edition in several aspects. Specifically, it includes two chapters about secondary ELLs’ previous educational experiences in their home countries, a chapter on subject matter lesson planning with ELLs in mind with teacher collaborative strategies, and more principle-based and field-tested effective instructional and assessment strategies for working with ELLs.
Dedication. Acknowledgments. Introduction. CHAPTER 1: Principals of Second Language Learning for Adolescents: How do Adolescent English Language Learners (ELLs) Learn English as a Second Language? CHAPTER 2: Who are these Diverse ELLs? CHAPTER 3: Asian ELLs’ Previous Educational Experiences. CHAPTER 4: Latino ELLs’ Previous Educational Experiences. CHAPTER 5: Planning Subject Matter Lessons for ELLs. CHAPTER 6: Assessing ELLs in Subject Matter Classes. CHAPTER 7: Reading and Vocabulary Instruction for ELLs in Subject Matter Classes. CHAPTER 8: Writing and Vocabulary Instruction for ELLs in Subject Matter Classes. CHAPTER 9: Promoting ELLs’ Participation in Subject Matter Discussions. CHAPTER 10: Preparing ELLs for Evaluation and Standardized Tests. Conclusion. Bibliography. Index.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- FOR007000 - FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY: English as a Second Language
- EDU005000 - EDUCATION: Bilingual Education
- EDU018000 - EDUCATION: Language Experience Approach
- (Re)Building Bi/Multilingual Leaders for Socially Just Communities
- Authentic Voices Culturally Responsive Teaching and Learning
- Educational Practices in China, Korea, and the United States Reflections from a Study Abroad Experience
- Learning to Read the World and the Word School-University-Community Collaboration to Enrich Immigrant Literacy and Teacher Education
- Multiliteracies in English as an Additional Language Classrooms Methods, Approaches, and Lessons
- Starting Points in Critical Language Pedagogy
- The Matter of Practice Exploring New Materialisms in the Research and Teaching of Languages and Literacies