The Role of Leadership Educators
A volume in the series: Contemporary Perspectives on Leadership Learning. Editor(s): Kathy L. Guthrie, Florida State University.
Leadership, as a discipline, leadership education, as a field, and leadership educator, as a profession are still in their infancy and rapidly evolving. As professionals in higher education, we are constantly asked to provide opportunities for students to learn leadership, whether that is inside or outside of the classroom. However, very little, if any professional development occurs in how to create such learning opportunities.
This book provides resources for leadership educators in three sections. The first section sets the stage for leadership education and the professional work of leadership educators, culminating with a variety of professional development resources for leadership educators. The second section introduces a leadership learning framework, provides characteristics and examples of strong leadership programs and assessment practices, and describes the transformative practice of leadership education. The third and final section offers specific instructional and assessment strategies ranging from discussion, case study, and reflection, to team-based- and service-learning to self-assessments, role-play, simulation, and games, to fulfill learning outcomes.
Preface. Acknowledgments. SECTION I: LEADERSHIP CAN BE TAUGHT: EDUCATION AND EDUCATOR CHAPTER 1: Setting the Stage: Importance of Leadership Education. CHAPTER 2: Leadership Educator as a Professional Identity. CHAPTER 3: Leadership Educator Resources. SECTION II: DESIGNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR LEADERSHIP LEARNING CHAPTER 4: Leadership Learning Framework. CHAPTER 5: Leadership Education and Learning Contexts. CHAPTER 6: Characteristics of Distinctive Leadership Programs. CHAPTER 7: Distinctive Contextual Leadership Program Examples. CHAPTER 8: Assessment in Leadership Education. SECTION III: DELIVERING LEADERSHIP EDUCATION CHAPTER 9: Leadership: An Applied Discipline. CHAPTER 10: Discussion: Leadership Education’s Signature Pedagogy. CHAPTER 11: Case Study Methods for Leadership Education. CHAPTER 12: Reflection as Leadership Pedagogy. CHAPTER 13: Team-Based Learning: It’s All About Process. CHAPTER 14: Service-Learning as Leadership Pedagogy. CHAPTER 15: Self-Assessment, Peer-Assessment, and Observation Instruments. CHAPTER 16: Role-Play, Simulation, and Games as Leadership Pedagogy. CHAPTER 17: Leadership as Art. References. About the Authors.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU032000 - EDUCATION: Leadership
- EDU015000 - EDUCATION: Higher
- EDU029000 - EDUCATION: TEACHING METHODS & MATERIALS: General
- A Second Helping of Gumbo for the Soul More Liberating Stories and Memories to Inspire Females of Color
- Changing the Narrative Socially Just Leadership Education
- Conquering Academia Transparent Experiences of Diverse Female Doctoral Students
- School Turnaround in Secondary Schools Possibilities, Complexities, & Sustainability
- Teacher Education at the Edge Expanding Access and Exploring Frontiers
- Thinking to Transform Reflection in Leadership Learning
- Thinking to Transform Companion Manual Facilitating Reflection in Leadership Learning