The Violence Volcano
Reducing the Threat of Workplace Violence
David D. Van Fleet, Arizona State University
Ella W. Van Fleet, Professional Business Associates
The Violence Volcano is for managers and workers in all types of business and government organizations, including law enforcement and other first-responders.
Its purpose is to assist all organizations and their employees in fulfilling their obligations under U.S. Government regulations to reduce the risks of any and all forms of violence that affect workers during the time they are carrying out their duties as employees.
The Violence Volcano is written at an appropriate level for either self-study, training programs, or classroom settings. It could be used as a supplement in business, educational administration, criminal justice and law enforcement classes, or other academic and trade programs.
Key features of the book:
• Uses the volcano metaphor to provide a simple and unique way to help readers under stand and remember how violence builds.
• Provides a broader approach than other books toward recognizing and dealing with the issue of workplace violence, including both internal and external causes as well as signs of impending acts of violence.
• Identifies and discusses the nature and complexity of violence in a variety of workplaces.
• Helps management compare violence prevention costs with the immediate and direct costs plus the delayed and hidden costs of violent incidents at work.
• Helps management, employees, and law enforcement personnel recognize environmental and organizational influences on employee behavior.
• Helps management and employees develop an awareness of personal characteristics and work behaviors that build toward violent behavior, so that timely intervention can perhaps eliminate the threat of violence.
• Assists management in establishing a crisis management team, an organizational crisis plan, a violence intervention plan, and a post-violence trauma plan.
• Develops a comprehensive definition of workplace violence and examines its rapid growth.
• Suggests administrative ways of reducing risks, such as establishing anti-violence policies, improving asset security, and providing an adequate support system.
• Introduces the topics of legal responsibilities and liabilities, and working with law enforcement.
"Workplace violence is becoming an all-too-frequent problem. 'The Violence Volcano' provides important insights into the trends and causes of workplace violence and offers concrete and practical guidelines for helping control it. I give this important book my highest recommendation." Ricky W. Griffin Mays Business School, Texas A&M University
> Powerpoint slides - for class use
Web price: $45.04 (Reg. 52.99)
Web price: $80.74 (Reg. 94.99)
- BUS030000 - BUSINESS & ECONOMICS: Human Resources & Personnel Management
- BUS085000 - BUSINESS & ECONOMICS: Organizational Behavior
- BUS071000 - BUSINESS & ECONOMICS: Leadership
- Educating in Ethics Across the Professions A Compendium of Research, Theory, Practice, and an Agenda for the Future
- Human Resource (Talent) Development
- Innovation and Behavioral Strategy
- Practical Wisdom for an Ethical Evaluation Practice
- Socio-Economic Approach to Management Treatise Theory and Practices
- The Ethically Responsible Organization
- The Future of Scholarship on Diversity and Inclusion in Organizations