Writing Math Research Papers - 5th Ed.
A Guide for High School Students and Instructors
Mathematics research papers provide a forum for all mathematics enthusiasts to exercise their mathematical experience, expertise and excitement. The research paper process epitomizes the differentiation of instruction, as each student chooses their own topic and extends it as far as their motivation and desire takes them. The features and benefits of the research paper process offer a natural alignment with all eight Common Core State Standards for Mathematical Practice. Writing Math Research Papers serves both as a text for students and as a resource for instructors and administrators.
The Writing Math Research Papers program started at North Shore High School in 1991, and it received the 1997 Chevron Best Practices in Education Award as the premier high school math course in the United States. Author Robert Gerver’s articles on high school mathematics research programs were featured in the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics publication Developing Mathematically Promising Students, the NCTM’s 1999 Yearbook, Developing Mathematical Reasoning in Grades K – 12, and in the September 2017 issue of the Mathematics Teacher.
Acknowledgements. Introduction. 1. Mathematics: Shouting Questions and Whispering Answers. 2. Finding a Topic. 3. Problem Solving: A Prerequisite for Research. 4. The Importance of Clear Communication. 5. The Notes You Take in Math Class. 6. Technical Writing Techniques. 7. Conjectures, Theorems, and Proofs. 8. Reading and Keeping a Research Journal. 9. Components of Your Research Paper. 10. Oral Presentations. 11. Sample Pages from Actual Papers. 12. Resources. 13. A Guide for Instructors and Administrators.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- A Second Helping of Gumbo for the Soul More Liberating Stories and Memories to Inspire Females of Color
- Curriculum and Teaching Dialogue Vol. 21 # 1 & 2
- Curriculum Windows What Curriculum Theorists of the 1950s Can Teach Us About Schools and Society Today
- Decolonizing Qualitative Approaches for and by the Caribbean
- Growing the Knowledge Base in Evaluation The Contributions of J. Bradley Cousins
- Using and Developing Measurement Instruments in Science Education A Rasch Modeling Approach 2nd Edition
- Visionary Evaluation for a Sustainable, Equitable Future