International Perspectives on Bilingual Education
Policy, Practice, and Controversy
A volume in the series: International Perspectives on Educational Policy, Research and Practice. Editor(s): Gustavo E. Fischman, Arizona State University.
This book is a defense of linguistic pluralism and language policies and practices in education that sustain that ideal. Educational meanings and models are influenced by different populations and different social and historical contexts. International comparisons can shed interesting light on the issues. Therefore, the purpose of the book is to provide scholars an international comparative understanding of language policy, its relation to educational practice, and current debates within the field. The book is divided into three sections dealing with the general topical areas of policy, practice, and controversy.
This book will be of interest to policy-makers, scholars, and graduate students in the areas of bilingual education, language policy, and sociolinguistics.
Foreword, Terrence Wiley, Arizona State University. Introduction. SECTION 1: POLICY 1. Language Minority Education in the United States: Power and Policy, John E. Petrovic. 2. Language Minority Rights and Educational Policy in Canada, Thomas Ricento and Andreea Cervatiuc. 3. Education Policy and Language Shift in Guatemala, Ivonne Heinze Balcazar. SECTION 2: PRACTICE 4. Transitions to Biliteracy: Creating Positive Academic Trajectories for Emerging Bilinguals in the United States, Kathy Escamilla and Susan Hopewell. 5. Bilingualism and Biliteracy in India: Implications for Education, Prema K. S. Rao, Jayashree C. Shanbal, Sarika Khurana. 6. Making Choices for Sustainable Social Plurilingualism: Some Reflections from the Catalan Language Area, F. Xavier Vila i Moreno. SECTION 3: CONTROVERSY 7. Reorienting Language-as-Resource, Richard Ruiz. 8. The Role of Language in Theories of Academic Failure for Linguistic Minorities, Jeff MacSwan and Kellie Rolstad. 9. A Postliberal Critique of Language Rights: Toward a Politics of Language for a Linguistics of Contact, Christopher Stroud.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU003000 - EDUCATION: Aims & Objectives
- EDU005000 - EDUCATION: Bilingual Education
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- Educational Restructuring International Perspectives on Traveling Policies
- Handbook on Comparative and International Studies in Education
- Immigrant Youth Who Excel Globalization's Uncelebrated Heroes
- Lost in Transition Redefining Students and Universities in the Contemporary Kyrgyz Republic
- Nordic Childhoods and Early Education Philosophy, Research, Policy and Practice in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden
- Surviving the Transition? Case Studies of Schools and Schooling in the Kyrgyz Re
- The Challenges of Education in Central Asia