Navigating the Academic Career
Common Issues and Uncommon Strategies
There is an urgent need to provide academic professionals with individual, institutional, and contextual accounts of their careers and career-making endeavors. An individual account makes academicians think about what they do and how they might do it better. An institutional account makes academicians reflect upon the organizational environment in which they function and ponder what they might do to improve it. A contextual account connects academicians and their work to knowledge, the knowledge enterprise, and the larger social structure so that they know and understand the impact they and their career-making efforts have on themselves, academia, and general social processes.
This book examines academic careers and career-making activities with respect to their main aspects, milestones, and general pathways. In content, it divides into four identifiable parts. Part I focuses on professional preparation. It examines education, degree, reeducation, job search, and job change. Part II centers on organizational employment. It investigates position, research, teaching, service, and tenure. Part III revolves around professional networking. It looks into publication, conference presentation, application for grants and awards, and membership in academic associations. Part IV rises above specific issues. It explores general career pathways and overall scholarly identity.
Introduction. PART I 1. Educational Preparation. 2. Degree. 3. Job Search and Change. PART II 4. Organizational Employment. 5. Position. 6. Teaching. 7. Service. 8. Tenure. PART III 9. Professional Networking. 10. Publication. 11. Grant. 12. Academic Award. 13. Membership in Academic Associations. 14. Conference Presentation and Participation. PART IV 15. Academic Career Pathways. 16. Scholarly Identity. Conclusion. Appendix. References. About the Author. Index.
"...Shaw takes a fairly frank, often edgy no-nonsense approach to discussing the issues in academia. Perhaps the most distinctive feature of the book is the inclusion in the appendices of examples and samples of the documentation that academics are required to produce. This alone would be worth the price of the book for up-and-coming academics." Richard D. Harvey and Andrea R. Cox Saint Louis University and University of Missouri in PsycCRITIQUES (Read full review)
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU015000 - EDUCATION: Higher
- BUS012000 - BUSINESS & ECONOMICS: CAREERS: General
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- Analyzing Influences Research on Decision Making and the Music Education Curriculum
- Critical Issues in Preparing Effective Early Childhood Special Education Teachers for the 21 Century Classroom Interdisciplinary Perspectives
- Exploring Issues of Diversity within HBCUs
- Joined-up History New Directions in History Education Research
- Peace Education Evaluation Learning from Experience and Exploring Prospects
- Searching for Authenticity
- Understanding Neoliberal Rule in Higher Education Educational Fronts for Local and Global Justice