Models of Success
How Historically Black Colleges and Universities Survive the Economic Recession
A volume in the series: Contemporary Perspectives in Race and Ethnic Relations. Editor(s): M. Christopher Brown, Kentucky State University. T. Elon Dancy II, University of Oklahoma.
This edited book contains chapters related to the excellent management and leadership practices currently taking place at historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the context an economic recession. Each chapter highlights successful operations at HBCUs from management, leadership, and administrative standpoints in a manner that is not comparative of or overly reliant upon dominant literature, standards, or theories. Amongst the deficit-laden literature regarding the fiscal, accreditation, and governance status of HBCUs are few studies highlighting those institutions successfully operating in a difficult economy. This book fills that gap of information by offering chapters on excellent management and leadership practices occurring at a variety of HBCUs today.
Foreword, Charlie Nelms. Introduction, James Minor. Mary McLeod Bethune’s Fundraising Success: Implications for Contemporary Presidents of Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Shaun Harper and Tryan L. McMickens. Telling a Story of Student Success at HBCUs: Barriers for Researchers at a PWI, Candace E. Maddox, Shanua Nefos Webb, Carrie Smith, Marvette Lacy, and Travis Martin. Interdisciplinary Collaboration as an Innovative Approach to Developmental Education at Morgan State University, Tiffany Jones, Brenda James, and Josh Pretlow. Successful Financial Models at HBCUs, Sydney Freeman and John Michael Lee, Jr. We Don’t Have to Look Very Far: Successful Operations of a Black College in the Economic Recession, Shametrice Davis. “We Over Me”: Servant Leadership, Teamwork, and the Success of Paul Quinn College, Felecia Commodore, Marybeth Gasman, and Clif Conrad. Practical Strategies: Leading HBCU During Challenging Economies, Walter Kimbrough. About the Authors.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- SOC001000 - SOCIAL SCIENCE: ETHNIC STUDIES: African American Studies
- EDU032000 - EDUCATION: Leadership
- EDU015000 - EDUCATION: Higher
- African American Males and Education Researching the Convergence of Race and Identity
- Changing the Narrative Socially Just Leadership Education
- Filling in The Blanks Standardized Testing and the Black-White Achievement Gap
- International Perspectives on Leading Low-Performing Schools
- Is That Your Mom? Voices of Cross Racially Raised Adults of The African Diaspora
- STEM Models of Success Programs, Policies, and Practices in the Community College
- The Brother Code Manhood and Masculinity among African American Men in College