Conflicts, Disputes, and Tensions Between Identity Groups
What Modern School Leaders Should Know
This book is intended for use in professional courses of study and workshops in fields such as education administration, public administration, sports administration, law enforcement, allied health and social work, human resource management, and other fields in which groups from diverse backgrounds participate as employees, students, or clients. The book is an introduction to a vast and complex subject. Among the possible objectives that can be pursued with the aid of this book are the following:
• To understand the nature and causes of intergroup conflict including the useful functions it performs for communities and members of identity groups.
• To understand the importance of a historical perspective in the study of intergroup conflict and the danger of adopting ahistorical solutions.
• To learn how group membership influences interactions between and among groups under conditions of stress.
• To understand the causes and persistence of ethnocentric thought and how individuals can minimize or prevent the demonizing effects that may arise from it.
• To become familiar with basic principles of conflict resolution, mediation, and arbitration.
• To become aware of how the seemingly harmless and benign beliefs and actions of one group may have negative effects on others who do not belong to the same group.
• To explore approaches to dealing with intergroup conflict and the conditions under which these approaches are either useful or inappropriate.
1 Enculturation and Acculturation. 2 Issues in Heritage Group Identity in Conflict. 3 Group Identity Beyond Race and Ethnicity. 4 Causes of Identity Group Conflict and Some Positive Aspects. 5 Constructing and Designating Adversaries. 6 The Discourse of Conflict. 7 Argument, Evidence, and Impartial Treatment. 8 Essentials of Social Conflict Management. 9 Conflict in the Curriculum. 10 Identity-Group Conflict. A Teaching Suggestions and Materials. B Conflict Cases and Scenarios. C Intractable Conflict. D Resource Materials and Organizations. E Arbitration, Conciliation, and Mediation
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- SOC051000 - SOCIAL SCIENCE: Violence in Society
- EDU015000 - EDUCATION: Higher
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- Advancing the Global Agenda for Human Rights, Vulnerable Populations, and Environmental Sustainability
- American Higher Education Contemporary Perspectives on Policy and Practice
- Basic Elements of Survey Research in Education Addressing the Problems Your Advisor Never Told You About
- Curriculum and Teaching Dialogue Vol. 23 # 1 & 2
- International Perspectives on Mathematics Teacher Education
- Operationalizing Culturally Relevant Leadership Learning
- The Ph.D. Mindset Decoupling Passion from Research