Challenging the System?
A Dramatic Tale of Neoliberal Reform in an Australian High School
A volume in the series: Education Policy in Practice: Critical Cultural Studies. Editor(s): Edmund Hamann, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Rodney Hopson, University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign.
The book is written with great clarity, and a strong awareness of the importance of the school's social milieu. Forsey cuts through the mealy mouthed official rhetoric of "education for all" and shows the massive, continuing influence of social class inequalities in Australian society. Class interests shape not only this school but the whole education system around it, public and private. Ravina High is seen as a "good school" largely because of its comfortable middle-class catchment.
Foreword. Acknowledgments. Chapter 1: Devolution in Practice. Chapter 2: Neoliberalism and Schools: Global Ideals, Local Realities. Chapter 3: A Good Ship to Sail. Chapter 4: Maintaining the Good Ship. Chapter 5: Disturbing the Millpond. Chapter 6: Conduct Unbecalming. Chapter 7: Challenging the System? Chapter 8: What Shall We Do?. References. Index.
"This is one of those all too rare ethnographic studies in education which deserves to be widely read, not only because of the intrinsic interest in the narrative which the author relates, but also because it highlights fundamental issues in contemporary Australian education policy and administration." Clive Whitehead
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- Educated for Change? Muslim Refugee Women in the West
- Navigating the Volatility of Higher Education Anthropological and Policy Perspectives
- Placing Practitioner Knowledge at the Center of Teacher Education Rethinking the Policies and Practices of the Education Doctorate
- Researching Race in Education Policy, Practice and Qualitative Research
- Revisiting Education in the New Latino Diaspora
- The Construction, Negotiation, and Representation of Immigrant Student Identities in South African schools
- War or Common Cause? A Critical Ethnography of Language Education Policy, Race, and Cultural Citizenship