The Anatomy of Neoliberalism and Education
Imperialism, Class Struggle, and Pedagogy
A volume in the series: Marxist, Socialist, and Communist Studies in Education. Editor(s): Curry Malott, West Chester University of Pennsylvania. Derek R. Ford, DePauw University.
In Press 2021
This book is about the Anatomy of Neoliberalism and Education from a Marxist perspective. It is the dialectical materialism of neoliberal ideas, examining the material conditions of how these ideas and practices emerged, and under what conditions. Each of these elements is related to the other and can only be properly understood as part and parcel of the whole system of capitalism, which links them together. This book investigates neoliberalism's political, cultural, and financial tools. It goes deep in the forces who have supported neoliberalism and how it became "common sense". It explores the imperialist outcomes and the social devastation it created. It then goes to see how these ideas and policies have been implemented in education. In short, it is the materialist conception of the history of the American empire. It then uses the analytic tools developed through this investigation to re-read the neoliberal educational reforms.
Introduction. Acknowledgments. PART I CHAPTER 1: Roots and Causes. CHAPTER 2: Power Strikes Back. CHAPTER 3: The Empire Attacks. PART II CHAPTER 4: The Neoliberal Workforce Landscape. CHAPTER 5: Neoliberalism and Education. FINAL CONCLUSIONS: Education for a Democracy. Afterword, Peter McLaren. References.
Web price: $56.09 (Reg. 65.99)
Web price: $81.59 (Reg. 95.99)
- EDU034000 - EDUCATION: EDUCATIONAL POLICY & REFORM: General
- SOC050000 - SOCIAL SCIENCE: Social Classes
- EDU029040 - EDUCATION: TEACHING METHODS & MATERIALS: Social Science
- It Takes an Ecosystem Understanding the People, Places, and Possibilities of Learning and Development Across Settings
- Learning with Lenin Selected Works on Education and Revolution
- Reclaiming Communist Philosophy Marx, Lenin, Mao, and the Dialectics of Nature
- Rural School Turnaround and Reform It’s Hard Work!
- This Fist Called My Heart The Peter McLaren Reader, Volume I
- Tracks to Infinity, The Long Road to Justice The Peter McLaren Reader, Volume II
- Walkout! Teacher Militancy, Activism, and School Reform