Narrative Inquiries of School Reform
Storied Lives, Storied Landscapes, Storied Metaphors
Cheryl J. Craig, University of Houston
A volume in the series: Research in Curriculum and Instruction. Editor(s): Cheryl J. Craig, University of Houston.
This book culminates five years of extensive field-based inquiry with teachers and principals in four reforming school contexts. It arises from living alongside teachers and principals, entering into their realities, engaging them in conversations, seeing school life through their eyes, and employing the words and images they use to wrap around their experiences. It involved thinking narratively about schools as sites of high drama within which teachers and principals negotiate meaning as knowledgeable and knowing human beings. It gave primacy to everyday events taking shape on school landscapes. It meant creating spaces and devoting enormous amounts of time to observing and listening hard to what teachers and principals say and do when reform initiatives become personally lived in context--from their points of view.
Preface. Acknowledgments. Introduction. Chapter 1: Setting the Stage. Chapter 2: T.P. Yaeger Middle School: A Case of “The Monkey’s Paw”. Chapter 3: “The Monkey’s Paw”: A Reflective Coda. Chapter 4: Hardy Academy: A Case of “Dueling Banjos”. Chapter 5: “Dueling Banjos”: A Reflective Coda. Chapter 6: Two Storied School Landscapes: Influences on Teachers’ Knowledge. Chapter 7: Eagle High School: A Case of “The Dragon in School Backyards”. Chapter 8: “The Dragon in School Backyards”: A Reflective Coda. Chapter 9: Destiny High School: A Case of “The Rainbow Fish”. Chapter 10: “The Rainbow Fish”: A Reflective Coda. Chapter 11: Two Storied School Landscapes: Influences on Principals’ and Teachers’ Knowledge. Chapter 12: Grand Finale, Part I. Chapter 13: Grand Finale, Part II. Epilogue. Chapter 14: A Case of “Night and the Candlemaker”. Index.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- Educating About Social Issues in the 20th and 21st Centuries - Vol 4 Critical Pedagogues and Their Pedagogical Theories
- Educating About Social Issues in the 20th and 21st Centuries Vol. 2 A Critical Annotated Bibliography
- Educating About Social Issues in the 20th and 21st Centuries Vol. 3 A Critical Annotated Bibliography
- Exemplary Elementary Social Studies Case Studies in Practice
- Facing Challenges and Complexities in Retention of Novice Teachers
- Schooling for Tomorrow's America
- Truth and Knowledge in Curriculum Making