"School is Life, Not a Preparation for Life"
John Dewey: Democratic Practices in Middle Grades Education
A volume in the series: Middle Level Education and the Self-Enhancing School. Editor(s): Kathleen Roney, University of North Carolina Wilmington. Richard P. Lipka, St. Bonaventure University.
Teacher-pupil planning means teachers and students working in a partnership to articulate a problem/concern, develop objectives, locate materials/resources, and evaluate progress. The intent of this volume of Middle Level Education and the Self-Enhancing School titled, “School is Life, Not a Preparation for Life”-John Dewey: Democratic Practices in Middle Grades Education, is to take the thoughts about the middle grades school curriculum presented in volume one (Middle Grades Curriculum: Voices and Visions of the Self-Enhancing School) and demonstrate the efforts taking place in teacher education programs and middle grades classrooms today. Volume two is organized into two parts, efforts within teacher education programs and efforts of practitioners in the middle grades classrooms.
We asked authors in both contexts to address the following questions:
1. Antecedents: What knowledge, skills and dispositions must be in place in all stakeholders to have teacher-pupil planning serve a central role in the middle grades teacher education program or middle grades classroom?
2. Implementation: What does the teacher-pupil planning process look like within your teacher education program or middle grades classroom?
3. Outcomes: What benefits (knowledge, skills, and dispositions) are derived from the implementation of teacher-pupil planning in your teacher education program or your middle grades classroom?
Dedication. Preface, Kathleen Roney and Richard P. Lipka. Introduction: The What and Why of Teacher Pupil Planning, Kathleen Roney. Our Rules, Our Curriculum, Our Assessments: Rationale and Strategies for Creating Democratic Classrooms, Dave F. Brown, Nancy Doda, Trudy Knowles, and David Mercurio. Cultivating Teacher and Student Agency Using a Human-Centered Design Approach: Stories of Teachers-in- Training, Elizabeth Crawford. Encouraging Deep Learning for Middle Grades Education Candidates: Engaging in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning as Self-Study, Megan Adams. Simulating Teacher-Pupil Planning in a Middle Level Teacher Preparation Program, David C. Virtue. Teacher Education For Democracy & Teacher-Pupil Planning In Middle Level Social Studies, Sydney Neubauer and Amanda Winkelsas. Creating Music Videos: Teachers and Students Working Collaboratively Across the Arts, Stephanie Cronenberg. A Working Guide To Teacher-Pupil Planning, Richard P. Lipka. Meet the Authors.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU050000 - EDUCATION: Collaborative & Team Teaching
- EDU008000 - EDUCATION: Decision-Making & Problem Solving
- EDU029000 - EDUCATION: TEACHING METHODS & MATERIALS: General
- (Re)Designing Programs: A Vision for Equity-Centered, Clinically Based Teacher Preparation
- As He Saw It Contributions, Memories and Reflections of John H. Lounsbury
- Black Males Matter A Blueprint for Creating School and Classroom Environments to Support Their Academic and Social Development - A Sourcebook
- Flourishing in the Holistic Classroom
- Middle Grades Curriculum Voices and Visions of the Self-Enhancing School
- Multiliteracies in English as an Additional Language Classrooms Methods, Approaches, and Lessons
- Teaching on Assessment