Timeless Teachers and Ethical Visions
The industrial monoculture spreading across the globe is highly competitive, greedy and egotistical; in the shaping of educational policy, global communities have accepted a model based on science and technology, which lacks aspects that should be addressed in the goal of education. The book Timeless Teachers and Ethical Visions is a historical inquiry of educational concerns that have developed through the centuries. It is a systematic discussion of prominent educators, including their theories and experiments: St. Thomas Aquinas, Al-Ghazali, Ibn Khaldun, Leo Tolstoy, Mahatma Gandhi, John Dewey and Paulo Freire.
In addition, the inquiry investigates the strengths and weaknesses of the neoliberal educational policy, the suggestions to construct an educational policy considering the common good, criticize uncontrolled individualism while emphasizing the goal of education that enhances community consciousness to the learner. Finally, the aim of this book is to propose an alternative educational policy that is beneficial to the global community.
Foreword. 1. Introduction. 2. St. Thomas Aquinas (1224/25–1274). 3. Islamic Educators, Al-Ghazali and Ibn Khaldun. 4. Leo Tolstoy (1828–1910). 5. Mahatma Gandhi (1869–1948). 6. John Dewey (1859–1952). 7. Paulo Freire (1921–1997). 8. Human Development, Ethical Visions, and Educational Policy. Bibliography.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU000000 - EDUCATION: General
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- EDU034000 - EDUCATION: EDUCATIONAL POLICY & REFORM: General
- Contemporary Perspectives on Social Capital in Educational Contexts
- Decolonizing Qualitative Approaches for and by the Caribbean
- Democracy at a Crossroads Reconceptualizing Socio-Political Issues in Schools and Society
- Growing the Knowledge Base in Evaluation The Contributions of J. Bradley Cousins
- Selected Writings from the Journal of the Saskatchewan Mathematics Teachers' Society Celebrating 50 years (1961-2011) of Vinculum
- Transformative Learning in Healthcare and Helping Professions Education Building Resilient Professional Identities
- Transforming Public Education in Africa, the Caribbean, and the Middle East