Informing the Practice of Teaching Using Formative and Interim Assessment
A Systems Approach
A volume in the series: The MARCES Book Series. Editor(s): Hong Jiao, University of Maryland. Robert W. Lissitz, University of Maryland.
This book focuses on interim and formative assessments as distinguished from the more usual interest in summative assessment. I was particularly interested in seeing what the experts have to say about a full system of assessment. This book has particular interest in what information a teacher, a school or even a state could collect that monitors the progress of a student as he or she learns. The authors were asked to think about assessing the effects of teaching and learning throughout the studentâ€™s participation in the curriculum.
This book is the product of a conference by the Maryland Assessment Research Center for Education Success (MARCES) with funding from the Maryland State Department of Education.
An Introduction, Robert W. Lissitz. Connecting the Dots: Formative, Interim, and Summative Assessment, Dylan Wiliam, Gage Kingsbury, and Steven Wise. Design of Interim Assessment for Instructional Purpose: A Case Study Using Evidence Centered Design in Advanced Placement, Lori Nebelsick-Gullett, Cindy Hamen Farrar, Kristen Huff, and Sheryl Packman. Integrating Student Standardized and Formative Assessments With the National Board for Professional Teaching Standardsâ€™ Teacher Development Process, Joan Chikos Auchter. Using Assessment Information in Real Time: What Teachers Need to Know and Be Able To Do, Margaret Heritage. The Instructional Influence of Interim Assessments: Voices From the Field, Lisa M. Abrams and James H. McMillan. Sourcing Instructionally Embedded Formative Assessments, William D. Schafer. Marrying Periodic and Summative Assessments: I Do, Kimberly Oâ€™Malley, Emily Lai, Katie McClarty, and Denny Way Pearson. Comprehensive Assessment Systems in Service of Learning: Getting the Balance Right, Susan M. Brookhart. Errors in Student Learning and Assessment: The Learning Errors and Formative Feedback (LEAFF) Model, Jacqueline Leighton, Man-Wai Chu, and Paolina Seitz. Toward a Technical Theory for Systems for Learning: The Role of Information, Paul Nichols and Charles DePascale. Productive Formative Assessment ALWAYS Requires Local District Preparation, Rick Stiggins. About the Contributors.
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
Web price: $73.09 (Reg. 85.99)
- EDU037000 - EDUCATION: Research
- EDU009000 - EDUCATION: Educational Psychology
- EDU030000 - EDUCATION: Testing & Measurement
- Application of Artificial Intelligence to Assessment
- Data Analytics and Psychometrics Informing Assessment Practices
- Enhancing Effective Instruction and Learning Using Assessment Data
- Innovative Psychometric Modeling and Methods
- Technology Enhanced Innovative Assessment Development, Modeling, and Scoring From an Interdisciplinary Perspective
- Test Fairness in the New Generation of Largeâ€Scale Assessment
- The Next Generation of Testing Common Core Standards, Smarterâ€Balanced, PARCC, and the Nationwide Testing Movement