Writing Math Research Papers
A Guide for Students and Instructors
Mathematics research papers provide a forum for all mathematics enthusiasts to exercise their mathematical experience, expertise and excitement. The research paper process epitomizes the differentiation of instruction, as each student chooses their own topic and extends it as far as their desire takes them. The features and benefits of the research paper process offer a natural alignment with all eight Common Core State Standards for Mathematical Practice.
Writing Math Research Papers serves both as a text for students and as a resource for instructors and administrators. It systematically describes the steps involved in creating a mathematics research paper and an oral presentation. The chapters offer tips on technical writing, formatting, and preparing visual aids. For instructors and administrators, the book covers the logistics necessary in setting up a mathematics research program in a high school setting. This program received the 1997 Chevron Best Practices in Education Award as the premier high school mathematics course in the United States.
Introduction; Chapter 1: Mathematics: Shouting Questions and Whispering Answers; Chapter 2: Problem Solving: A Prerequisite for Research; Chapter 3: Writing Mathematics; Chapter 4: The Math Annotation Project; Chapter 5: Conjectures, Theorems, and Proofs; Chapter 6: Finding a Topic; Chapter 7: Reading and Keeping a Research Journal; Chapter 8: Components of Your Research Paper; Chapter 9: Oral Presentations; Chapter 10: After Your First Research Paper; Appendix A: Resources; Appendix B: Sample Pages from Students' Research Papers; Appendix C: A Guide for Instructors and Administrators; References
Web price: $39.09 (Reg. 45.99)
- American Educational History Journal Volume 46 #1 & 2
- CONFLUENCES Intercultural Journeying in Research and Teaching From Hermeneutics to a Changing World Order
- Curriculum and Teaching Dialogue Vol. 21 # 1 & 2
- Curriculum Windows What Curriculum Theorists of the 1950s Can Teach Us About Schools and Society Today
- Democracy at a Crossroads Reconceptualizing Socio-Political Issues in Schools and Society
- From Disagreement to Discourse A Chronicle of Controversies in Schooling and Education
- Selected Writings from the Journal of the Saskatchewan Mathematics Teachers' Society Celebrating 50 years (1961-2011) of Vinculum